April 01, 2006

IIMB GD/PI Experience

Firstly...apologies for the sms english in the following post.I am feeling tooo lazy to post the entire set of Q&As...

Secondly, after my IIML GD/PI oon feb 22, 2006 i had decided that i would prepare die-hard for IIMB and would leave no stone unturned. My plan was to dedicate the last week of Feb for acads and the entire March for going through the History of IT industry - i had charted out a neat plan to go through all the Business Journals, Mckinsey reports and other quaterlies.

But alas...here i was without having touched a bit about anything...just took bath in the morning and power-groomed once again and headed towards IIMB.

I had my IIMB int at 9 @ IIMB on 30-March-06.
6 ppl supposed to be in the group.
Well...the profs came at arnd 9:05 and he asked us to wait for the 6th person..we waited for a couple of mins and then the process started without that 6th person ;-).

GD: 6 ppl supposedly in the group, 1 did not turn up.1 preferred not to speak during the course of the GD....resulting in practically 4 members...and u can think of the discussions that could have happened. A case was given about an acquisition move and ......etc etc.It was peace.

We were given 10mins to think. Eventhough the profs said that we would be given 15 mins to discuss, i guess the GD would have hardly lasted for 8-10 mins. then we summarised the GD in the paper given. Kindly note that even though the paper contains lots of lines(30-40), i would have written around 12-15 lines -- splitting them across into 3 paras.

PI:
I was the fourth person to be called in. The previous 3 who came out said that they were properly screwed and it was a FULL STRESS INTERVIEW.I was least bothered and kept my kewl. I knew that INTERVIEWS ARE ALWAYS FUN and ITS UPTO THE INDIVIDUAL TO TERM IT AS A STRESS INTERVIEW OR NOT.

well...here it goes:
2 profs : P1 and P2 and solitary ME!

P1:Kindly take your seat
Me:thanks
P2:You seem to have got an exceptionally great % in you 12th and it seems that it has remarkably drpped in ur grad.
[actually, i haev got 95% in 12th and 88%in BE - am not sure how its low, the eval schemes differ!!!]
Me:>
P1:what hhave you culivated extra during the course?
Me:Sir, you mean hobbies and interests in addition to the course?
P1:yes
Me: I quiz and love watching advertisements.Initially i just used to watch advertisements , but offlate i have started understanding the nuances associated with them. But., i want to know more and am trying to go the depths of it.
P2: Why you need advertisements? whats thier purpose?
Me:<<>>
P1: what is the difference between Directive Principle and Fundamental right?
Me: I dont know the exact differnece Sir, but i would like to take a guess<>
P1:Capital of Tazhakistan
Me:I Dont Know, Sir
P1:Turkmenistan
Me:I Dont Know, Sir
P1:Krygistan
Me:I Dont Know, Sir
P1:Where are the Aravali ranges?
Me:Somweher near Madhya Pradeh :-(
P1: If you dont know say that yu dont know...dont guess
Me:Dont Know
P1:When did Britishers come to India
Me:1600s
P1:what was the significant move taken by them once they arrived here?
Me: they imposed lagaan, that is taxes.
P1: Heard of Permenant Settlement?
Me: Sir, you mean Permenant Settlement Act?
P1:Yes, If you dont know, tell that you dont know- but dont give me a wrong answer.
Me: I Dont know sir.

a few mins on my Bplan....answered all the Qs with CORRECT answers :-)

some more Qs showered by P2 for which i answered:

P2:Which were the OODBs?
P2:Give me the first 2 OODBs.
P2:Name 2 Open Source Databases.
P2:What was the tussle between Oracle and MySQl recently that was in news?
P1: Is this your 2nd or 3rd attempt?
Me: This is my First.

Whoa!!! IT WAS FUN. :-)

I wanted the panel to talk about:
(1) Quizzing
(2) Advertisements
(3) My Bplan and
(4) Some fundae w.r.t Oracle
and the panel asked me what all i wanted...though there were lots of other Qs in addition to the solicited ones. I would say it was a decent interview , but cant guess my chances of getting through - but God Willing , i should be IN!

Lots to learn. Am gonna start reading Indian Independence Struggle.

No comments: